Sprites are small, winged fairies that are born in the nooks and hollows of the most ancient trees from the deep magic that can only be found within the oldest of forests. Sprites are notoriously impatient and easily distracted and primary concern is his or her own enjoyment, which includes singing, dancing, racing, and playing pranks on the unwary. Most see them as little more as a nuisance, but sprites have been known to befriend the occasional forest traveler and follow them out into the wider world.
Sprites are highly sociable and prefer to stay among their own kind or with other fey. Sprites are also very strong-willed and detest labor, and often the only mark of a sprite community is a faerie ring made of mushrooms or small stones that serve as a gathering place for the fey. Whereas other races may place their faith in a religion or a deity, sprites instead hold great reverence for an enigmatic figure known as Queen Mab.
Sprites stand just short of 2-1/2 feet in height, with elf-like frames and large, gossamer wings that extend from their backs that can hold them aloft for short bursts of flight. These wings come in a wide variety of shapes and colors, but mostly resemble that of insects such as dragonflies or butterflies, and sometimes moths. Their legs are also insect-like and their thin faces feature large, pupil-less, almond-shaped eyes that range in color from deep violet to midnight blue to jet-black.
Male Names: Acorn, Briar, Dale, Moss, Needle, Thorn
Female Names: Clover, Blossom, Fern, Ivy, Lily, Twig
If you choose to play a sprite, modify your character as follows:
- Add 1 to your Communication ability.
- Pick one of the following ability focuses: Communication (Deception) or Constitution (Flying).
- You have Poor Flight, which allows you to Fly equal to your speed but you cannot Dive or Fly High.
- You are Tiny, which limits the weapons you can use effectively to those that do not require a Minimum Strength.
- Your Speed is equal to 8 + Dexterity (minus armor penalty if applicable).
- You can speak and read the Common Tongue and Sylvan.
- Roll twice on the Sprite Benefits table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the dice together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.
|3-4||Focus: Dexterity (Acrobatics)|
|5||Focus: Communication (Persuasion)|
|6||Focus: Willpower (Morale)|
|9||Focus: Dexterity (Stealth)|
|10-11||Focus: Constitution (Drinking)|