I have always had a very warm place in my heart for lizardfolk. As Titansgrave took the concept in a more refined direction, I thought I would take it back towards something more primal. This is a re-work of an entry I submitted to Wayfinder, the Pathfinder fan-zine, and can be found on the Pathfinder SRD. It was the early days of Pathfinder and had I known more of how the system was going to develop, I would have made different choices in there design. Thankfully, I have an opportunity here to make up for it.
Lizardfolk are savage and cunning predators who are easily provoked and fiercely territorial. However, this perception is only a half-truth. The lizardfolk are an ancient race, whose culture and tribal traditions have remained unchanged for millennia. Many tribes watch the encroachment of warm-blooded humanoids into their lands with weariness and dread. Ingrained superstitions, isolationist tendencies, and aversion to change often puts the lizardfolk at odds with other races and their numbers have suffered mightily as a result.
The lizardfolk dwell in highly communal, primitive settlements deep within swamp and marshland. Their villages consist of egg-shaped huts that are made of dried mud and local vegetation, and where the strongest lead the tribe while shamans serves as his or her advisors. Despite their inhospitable attitude toward outsiders, especially toward the “mammals,” lizardfolk among their own kind are highly sociable and peaceful.
Lizardfolk resemble bipedal reptilian humanoids. Their imposing frame stands between 6 and 7 feet tall, with bodies that are covered in gray, green, or brown scales. Brightly colored dorsal frills or spiky spines adorn their heads and they have short crocodilian snouts. Despite their sharp teeth, lizardfolk prefer wielding stone-tipped spears or obsidian axes and wear minimal clothing while among their own kind. Although their 4-foot long tails often drags on the ground behind them while on land, but it allows them remarkable maneuverability in the water.
Male Names: Arashk, Braza, Drazzat, Rashaz, Varak, Yizzik
Female Names: Hesk, Jazaka, Kroga, Riza, Saraza, Zara
Tribe Names: Bird-Eaters, Broken Fang, Cinder Walkers, Many-Talons, Red Scales, Slashers
Playing A Lizardfolk
If you choose to play a lizardfolk, modify your character as follows:
- Add 1 to your Constitution ability.
- Pick one of the following ability focuses: Constitution (Swimming) or Intelligence (Natural Lore).
- You have Scaly Hide, which gives you a natural Armor Rating of 2, unless the armor you are wearing provides you with better protection.
- You can Swim, which allows you to move in water equal to your speed.
- Your Speed is equal to 10 + Dexterity (minus armor penalty if applicable).
- You can speak and read the Common Tongue and Sauria.
- Roll twice on the Lizardfolk Benefits table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the dice together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.
|3-4||Focus: Constitution (Stamina)|
|5||Focus: Perception (Tracking)|
|6||Focus: Strength (Might)|
|9||Weapon Group: Spears*|
|10-11||Focus: Accuracy (Brawling)|
|*If the class you choose provides this already, you can take the Fighting (Spears) instead.|