This is start of what I hope becomes an ongoing series. I had a few guidelines in mind while making NPCS:
- 10-Point Buy: Distribute value across all the different abilities starting at 0, emphasizing what you want the NPC to focus on. Generally, this means one ability is at 3 or 4.
- 6 Foci: NPCs should not contend with the PCs in the combat department and are often sought out for their knowledge or skills. This is also a good place to add any quirks.
- Personality over numbers: Giving a NPC character at the table goes much further than any bonus or ability value. A distinctive personality can be difficult to cultivate, but toward movies, games, and comics for ideas.
- Rules are meant to be broken: Have fun with design and do what you feel will work. Breaking the “10-Point Buy” for example made the Gamorran Brute quite the meat brick and a lot of fun to GM.
“That little droid and I have been through a lot together.”
|2||Dexterity (Disable Device)|
|4||Intelligence (Astrogation, Computers, Engineering)|
|Electroshock Probe||+2||1d6 ion||Melee|
|Fire Extinguisher: An R2’s fire extinguisher serves as a smoke screen that provides light cover within a 4 spaces x 4 spaces area. –2
Ion Vulnerability: A R2 astromech takes penetrating damage from ion attacks.
Talents: Your choice of talent between either Medicine (Novice) or Slicer (Novice).
Equipment: Electric welder, circular saw, fire extinguisher, computer interface probe, holo recorder and projector. It speaks binary, but understands Basic.
“Ya’ know what the best thing about Bazz is? He doesn’t say much and will never ask how you got that blaster burn (I guess that’s two things…).”
|Bazz the Alley Doc|
|4||Intelligence (Healing, Natural Lore)|
|2||Perception (Smelling, Touching)|
|Services: Bazz has the following services for sale.
· Emergency Care (100 credits): You restore 10 Health.
· Overnight (250 credits): By spending the night in one of Bazz’s bacta tanks, you are restored to your maximum Health.
Talents: Medicine (Master).
Equipment: Medpacs (8), stimpacks (2).
“The Thirsty Rancor is good place to get information and a good drink. You may even get the latter in a clean glass.”
|Rill the Bartender|
|3||Communication (Etiquette, Investigation)|
|2||Intelligence (Evaluation, Galactic Lore)|
|3||Perception (Empathy, Tasting)|
|Services: Rill has the following services for sale.
· Brool (5 credits): Your basic swill, cheap and refreshing.
· Ebla (6 credits): A light beer that is a favorite among Imperial Stormtroopers.
· Red Cloud (13 credits): Although it is served in shots, you would be a fool to drink it in one pull. If you do so, you must make a TN 15 Constitution (Drinking) ability test or be knocked unconscious for 5 minutes. This is especially potent to Twi’leks, who suffer a –2 penalty and generally avoid ordering it.
· Frothy Wampa (250 credits): The “house special,” Rill will ask you, “how do you take it?” Depending on your response, Rill will pass you a glass of water of the corresponding color along the last message she received from the Empire (Blue), Hutts (Green), or Rebels (Red).
Talents: Contacts (Journeyman), Intrigue (Novice).
Equipment: Bartender’s apron.
“Something just moved passed by my leg?!”
|5||Constitution (Stamina, Swimming)|
|2||Perception (Seeing, Smelling)|
|3 (8*)||70||8 (14*)||3|
Favored Stunts: Dual Strike, Mighty Blow
Far Reach: A dianoga can reach up to 2 spaces (3 meters).
Flurry of Tentacles: A dianoga makes two tentacle attacks on its turn.
Voracious Hunger: When a dianoga hits with both its tentacles against the same enemy, it can make an attack with its bite as a Free action.
“To call them ‘mercenaries’ would be way too generous.”
|2||Accuracy (Blasters, Brawling, Rifles)|
|Favored Stunts: Mighty Blow, Skirmish
Talents: Armor Training (Novice)
Equipment: Blaster pistol or a blaster rifle, mercenary armor, a set of playing cards, and a credstick with 14 credits.
“A vibroaxe between two cyber arms at the end of a Gamorran is just Bad Sandwich we best steer clear from.”
|Favored Stunts: Mighty Blow, Knock Prone
Talents: Armor Training (Novice), Two-Hander Style (Novice)
Ion Vulnerability (TN 17): A gamorran brute must make a TN 17 Constitution (Stamina) test whenever it takes ion damage. If it fails, it takes penetrating damage from the attack.
Equipment: Blaster pistol, x2 cybernetic arms, mercenary armor, vibroaxe and a credstick with 47 credits.
“Anything that hunts Wookiees for fun is bound to be bad news.”
|2||Accuracy (Blasters, Rifles)|
|2||Perception (Seeing, Tracking)|
|Favored Stunts: Pierce Armor, Regeneration (2 SP)
Talents: Armor Training (Novice), Rifleman Style (Novice)
Regeneration (2 SP): A trandoshan hunter regains health equal to the Stunt Die x 2 + 3.
Equipment: Blaster pistol, flashbang heavy rifle, mercenary armor, vibroblade and a credstick with 63 credits.