Ravnica Allegiance dropped this past weekend and I participated in the pre-release draft the weekend before. As I have learned Magic, I have become more and more enamored with blue, and blue/green Simic is hands-down my favorite combination. Hope you enjoyed the MTG events the past couple weeks and enjoy this. Happy gaming!
EDIT 1/29/19: Toxic Resistance felt so boring. Feel like Slimy Escape really captures the weird science of Simic!
WIZARD: SCHOOL OF MUTATION
When you choose this school at 2nd level, you learn the find familiar spell and can cast it as a ritual. If you already know this spell, you learn a different wizard transmutation spell of your choice. When you cast the spell, your familiar can take the form of a homunculus. Lastly, when you take the Attack action, you can forgo one of your own attacks to allow your homunculus to make one attack of its own.
At 2nd level, you can brew a concoction that causes your body to mutate in various ways. You are proficient with alchemy supplies and can brew a mutagen in 1 hour during a long rest. You consume a mutagen as an action and its effects lasts for 10 minutes thereafter. You can spend Hit Dice to gain temporary hit points equal to 1d12 + Intelligence per Hit Dice spent. You also choose one of the mutations during creation:
- Aquatic: Gills form along your neck, webbing extends between your fingers and toes, and you grow a third pair of eyelids. You gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed, and you can breathe and see while underwater.
- Bestial: Your muscles bulge and ripple while vicious claws replace your hands. Your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the normal for an unarmed strike. You can make a second attack with your other claw as a bonus action, following the rules for Two-Weapon Fighting on page 195 in the Player’s Handbook. Your Strength score becomes equal to your Intelligence, if greater.
- Flyer: Your fingers elongate and flaps of flesh extend from under your arms, transforming into leathery wings. You gain a fly speed equal to your walking speed. However, you are unable to cast spells using somatic components.
- Serpentine: Your legs meld together into a long, sinuous tail. Your tail is a natural weapon, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with it, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength or Dexterity modifier, whichever is greater, instead of the normal for an unarmed strike. Your Dexterity score becomes equal to your Intelligence, if greater.
You can only have one mutagen active at any time and a mutagen becomes inert after you brew another one. Only you and your homunculus can benefit from a mutagen you create and unable to end the effects of your mutation early.
Lastly, anyone else that consumes your mutagen must make a Constitution saving throw or become poisoned for 10 minutes. The saving throw is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier.
SIDEBAR: Simic Hybrids and Mutations
To say that the Simic Combine has an affinity for the School of Mutation is an understatement, and this goes doubly so for their hybrids. Every hybrid carries with it latent mutagenic capabilities which are enhanced by imbibing mutagens. When brewing a mutagen, a hybrid can decide to instead choose an Animal Enhancement from pages 20 and 21 in the Guildmaster’s Guide to Ravnica. However, a hybrid character must still meet the level requirements for the Animal Enhancement.
Beginning at 6th level, the effects of your mutagens improve. While mutated, you or your homunculus gains resistance to nonmagical bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage. You also gain one of the following benefits after consuming a mutagen:
- Aquatic: You become perfectly adapted to your environment. You have resistance to cold damage and you ignore any of the drawbacks caused by deep, underwater environments while this mutation is active.
- Bestial: Your claws can rend through almost anything. Your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage while this mutation is active.
- Flyer: Your wings spring from your back. You can cast spells with somatic components while this mutation is active.
- Serpentine: Your tail grants you extraordinary agility and is capable of tripping the unwary. You gain a climb speed equal to your walking speed. Also, you can use a bonus action after a hit with a tail attack to make a trip attempt against a target that is Large sized or smaller. You make an opposed Dexterity (Acrobatics) check against their Dexterity (Acrobatics) or Strength (Athletics) check. If you succeed, the creature is knocked prone.
At 10th level, you and your homunculus become especially susceptive to healing and regeneration. Whenever you or your homunculus regain hit points or gain temporary hit points, you always receive the maximum amount.
At 14th level, your body can become amorphous in response to mortal danger. When you are reduced to 0 hit points and are not destroyed outright, you can spend all your remaining Hit Dice to instead be reduced to 1 hit point and your form melts into a puddle of viscous greenish-blue slime. You gain an amount of temporary hit points equal to the amount of Hit Dice you spent. You ignore all conditions and you have resistance to all damage except acid damage. You slither along the ground with a speed of 10 feet but can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, effortlessly without needing to make an ability check and can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. You can not attack, cast spells, or speak, but can hear and see normally, and your belongings either meld into your form or drop to the ground. You can remain in this amorphous state for up to 5 minutes and can end it at-will any time during your turn.
Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.